Sunday, July 18, 2010

War Time Ponderings

It's War Time.

We have been at war in Afghanistan since 2001.
We have been at war in Iraq since 2003.

We are at war.

I have been reading some books written about WWII.
In them, they talk about the sacrifices every day people made.
The home front effort.

I KNOW the servicemen/ women and their families have made HUGE sacrifices,
but for now I am focusing on the rest of us.

During WWII, there were sanctions and food rations.
People grew victory gardens to help with the war effort.
Today, we grow gardens or belong to farm shares to eat healthier.

During WWII supplies were low.
Today, we have everything we need.
Some of us are suffering due to the banking industry.
That has to do with greed, not the war effort.
Not because we sacrifice what we had to help the servicemen/ women.

During WWII, communication came in the form of letters and the dreaded telegram.
Today, we have email, chat rooms, and video chats.
We all watched the invasion of Iraq live, on our television sets.
We see ads on television where pregnant women are showing their husbands sonograms live from their phones.

I know for me the war hasn't really effected me.
The baseball field at my school is named for a student that died over there.
A few of my former students joined the arm forces but I don't know where they are.

During WW II the War took centered stage.
Today it is background.
It's rarely the first news story.

During WWII, there were air raid drills and children collected tin cans for the war effort.
We have been fighting in the current wars for most of Luke's life.
He knows very little about it.
I don't even think he knows where Afghanistan is.


Today, we know that during WWII silk sticking were a luxury, letters from overseas were priceless, rubber tires were collected, women rolled bandages and everyone gathered around the radio at night to hear the latest news.


We are at war.
We are fighting two wars.

Whether you agree with that or not--it's a fact.


And so I wonder,
what will the future write about the home front effort?




No comments: