Saturday, July 10, 2010

CSA


We live in the Happy Valley.
The home organic food and Whole Foods.

For years our neighbors and friends have been encouraging us to join a CSA-
Commuinty Shared Agriculture.

The way it works is you buy a share for about $500.00.
Everyweek from May until November you go to the farm and pick up your share.

The produce is laid out on tables.
You walk through and pick what what is there.

The first week there was mostly lettuce.
This week there was Khol Rabi, carrots ( orange and purple), zuccini, yellow squash, bok choy. cabbage and cucumbers.
Up until 3 weeks ago I heard never heard of Khol Rabi.
Now I know it's good in stir fry.

J was a little skepical at first.
He was worried most of the food would end up in the compost.

I figured worse case scenario we would eat more stir fry.
We started out doing just that --stir fry and salads.

Now I am venturing outside the box.
Last week--homemade gazpacho and homemade coleslaw.

This week I am trying tomato, cuke and melon salad.
Wish me luck!

No comments: