Saturday, July 10, 2010

Boundaries

I am so bad at boundaries.
I have a hard time.
I want to be a "nice guy".
I have trouble setting them.

Lately this issue is coming up a LOT!
Like last Thursday....
It's summer.
It's hot.
We have a pool.
I am a teacher.
I am home in the summer.

For the past 2 weeks Luke has been doing day camps.
Last week half day soccer camp, this week baseball camp until 3:30.
His buddy has been taking the same camps.
His mom drops off the boys and I have pick up.
I bring them back here to swim and cool off.

The boys get along, which is great but it's starting to wear on me.
The first week the mom stayed one day and brought over food.
This week on Monday both parents were home.
Mom called and asked if they could bring steaks over and grill at our house.
I said no.
She came over and stayed until 7:30. I asked her at leave at 6.

On Tuesday I asked her if she could watch Luke for us--we had appointment at 6 and would be home by 7:30.
She said yes.
Then she said since she was babysitting for us she would bring steaks over and grill.
She would have dinner all ready for us when we returned.
This didn't feel right but I kept my mouth shut.
I thought I was being selfish not sharing the pool and grill with them.

Thursday morning.
She calls me twice , what do I have to grill.
Great she'll grill our hot dogs and hamburgers.
We will grill when I get back
What else did I have.
What time did I need her there again?
5:30 at the latest--no problem I want to swim.
I will be there waaaay before 5:30.
I think it's so great that you are so laid back and let us use your pool.

Now I am really not ok with this but AGAIN don't say anything.
Luke is excited about them eating over.
I feel like they are using my house as a vacation spa.
But I keep quiet.

5:00--she is not here.
5:10--she is not here.
5:20--she is here.

Luke is done.
He is hot and exhausted and is done with having company around.
He is not listening and we are going 20 rounds.
He's friend is being passive aggressive.
He is not listening either and is acting like this is his house.
His mom bought him brand a new, fancy looking mask.
He won't share it with Luke.
Luke who has shared his pool, goggles and toys with for 2 weeks.

The boys are playing ball in the pool.
The ball keeps going out of pool.
His friend won't go get it.
" I'll just swim".
But when Luke gets the ball he plays with it.

Luke is frustrated.
I am frustrated.
Luke is not listening.

I am loosing it.

It's 5:29 and she pulls into the driveway.

I am yelling at Luke.
His friend is swimming in the pool, trying out his new mask.
They arrive on the deck with a cooler.

" We know you don't drink but we brought Gin and Tonic for ourselves. We figure we would babysit in style. Pool, deck and grilling what could be better."
It's after 5:30.

Luke is still not listening, I take him into the house to set him straight.
I think everyone heard me setting him straight.

The dad walks into the house and says to Luke
" Let's start the grill we are hungry."

They don't know how to start the grill.

Now I am spinning!

I start the grill.
I don't want the mom going through my stuff so I get the food.

It's obvious I am mad and spinning.

" We can do this", the mom says.
" No, you don't know how to use the grill. That's why I thought we were eating after I got back "I answer.
" But the boys are hungry. When did you excpet us to eat. You weren't clear in your communication, " she says.

I WASN'T CLEAR!
I start to tear up.

" I am late. Luke isn't listening. I wasn't planning on having this all done now, " I say.

" You knew we were coming at 5:30," she says.

The dad offers to go get Chinese.
"It doesn't matter I say. The grill is going now, " I reply.

We return at 7:15.
Luke spent a large amount of time going through the bushes looking for the toys they lost all week. He friend stays in the pool.
The dad took a nap.
They had all eaten and no food was ready for us.


"This is soo great. What a place you have! When can we do this again?" they ask.

" I'll get back to you on that, " I reply.



1 comment:

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

YOU have GOT to be kidding me! This is something that movies are made of! Clearly these people are selfish AND selfcentered. "I know you don't drink but we brough gin and tonic for ourselves?" OH MY GOD...