Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Comfort Food

I have been doing a lot of light reading lately.
I like to do that after school is out.
I pick fluffy, interesting books that don't require a lot of thinking.
Pure relaxing enjoyment.

This year I seem to be reading a lot of books that have to do with food.
Example-Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs and Elin Hilderband books have a lot of food in them.

This got my thinking about food.
Food has become different for me since I became Gluten Free.
Many of my old " comfort foods" I can no longer eat.
But the comfort foods contain history, memories and stories.
I wonder how I can preserve those.

My dad used food to keep the memory of his mother alive.
She died when he was 15.
He had stories to go with chocolate milk, plum pudding and so on.

It's hot here in the Happy Valley.
Food is not appealing.
I think back to foods I ate when I was a child when it was hot out.

We had chips.
It was one of the few times we had chips in the house.
My dad said we needed to have salt so he brought home chips.
My mom called them munchies--she was trying to fit in but it always sounded funny coming from her.
We would have cold cut sandwiches on onion rolls.
My mom would make cold cuke soup.
Sometimes she made Lemonade and she would add OJ to it.

My favorite was BLT's.
The first time we had them my mom wouldn't tell us what the letters stood for.
We had to guess.
By the time dinnertime had arrived we thought we were having baloney, turkey and lemonade!

1 comment:

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

LOVE the new look on the blog and especially the pictures!!