Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lessons You Can't Teach

Maureen is overseas.
She spent last week in Russia.
They stayed with host families.

When she called she mentioned that the home she was staying in didn't have kids their age.
The other kids were staying with families that had kids their age.

Maureen is traveling with a group that consists of 8 boys and 4 girls.
When I asked her about the kids her voice changed ever so slightly.
I asked if everything was ok.
She said everything was fine.
And then mentioned that her host family didn't have any kids her age and the other ones did.

Maureen is on Facebook.
I am on Facebook and we are friends on Facebook.

Today I noticed that a picture had been posted on her page.
It was sent from a new friend, a friend from Russia.

As I looked through the pictures I noticed this new friend was female.
Most of the pictures had her with the boys.
They were hugging, giving her piggy back rides and snuggling.

The girl was dressed in skin tight, strapless dresses and high heels.

This is a new experience for Maureen.
One I had not prepare her for.
One I knew she would encounter.
But a tough one nevertheless.

My daughter is growing up.




No comments: