Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Safe


Son came down last night after I had tucked him in. He was sobbing and said he had a bad dream.

After he cuddled with me on the couch, he said he had "kindof" a dream. And then he said he didn't feel safe.

The words ripped my heart open. And I did not know what to say.

He has been through a lot. His uncle died in April, his Papa died in May, a good friend died in August and his Grammy is dying. ( hospice was called in this week).

What do you say a 7 year that has had so much lost?

I put a mattress on the floor in our room. I told him to get his cow, Red Sox bear and Spotty. ( stuffed animals) I put Gulliver's ( our dog) bed next to the mattress. I told him Daddy and I were right there.

I didn't know what else to do.

It is my job to keep him safe. I can't control what is happening or has happened.

I felt helpless. I felt let down by the universe.

I just want him to feel safe.

1 comment:

LeMoDo's mom said...

sometimes just a hug and snuggle time is the best medicine. and the security blanket that is needed at times like this. ((( hugs))) to you and your family.