Thursday, September 18, 2008

Isn't that what we are paid to do?!

We got a reading grant at my school. Four of us were chosen to take this grad course on teaching dyslexic children how to read.

One of my colleagues( LO) asked for assistance in choosing a student. I suggested JT. Great kid, hard worker but has a hard time reading. When I got him years ago he was reading like this 
Kah-ah-TTT. ----- Yes he was in the 6th grade.

When he left me last year he could sixth grade words but it took him a very long time. 
He worked hard and was very motivated.

This year he is in the high school. The teacher he has now refuses to work on reading with him.
I thought he would be a perfect student to work with LO.  

I went to my department head got permission. Talk to JT  he LOVED the idea.  Called his mom --she cried and agreed.

I was thrilled. I had been so worried about him.

JT's current teacher ( the one that won't teach him to read) went to the principal and complained!  

She doesn't want him pulled from her class. She said he won't get the proper English credits to graduate. 

GRADUATE!!!!  

 HE NEEDS TO LEARN HOW TO READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The principal called me.

SHE WAS UPSET WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She will try and fix this but I made a mess of this.  

I made a mess of this because I want the kids to learn to read?!!!!!!!

 






1 comment:

Misty said...

what????

That's insane.

It's so sad when the focus of a teacher/school seems to NOT be the education of a child.