Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Love My Job!!!

Six years ago I was testing a 7th grader ( Kasey)
She was sweet and worked hard.
I was doing a new kind of testing , one that looked at reading differently.
This test looked at how kids read words off the page AND how kids remember ( comprehend) what they read.

Kasey could read the words off the page beautifully!!!

When I did the part that looked at her comprehension, she fell apart.  Literally....
She started to cry and soon was a total mess.

" I have no idea what I just read!", she cried . " It takes me 6 hours to do homework at night. I don't remember ANYTHING I read!!"

I told her that everything would be ok and together we could fix that.

Now she is a senior.
Today she stopped by my classroom.

Tomorrow she is taking her last final at our school--( we are a 7-12 school).
She is graduating early.

Monday she starts at a local community college.
She is going into Education.

I just LOVE my job!!!


4 comments:

Mandy said...

I can't think of anything that's more satisfying professionally than seeing one of your students succeed.

Misty said...

now this an awesome story!

Jess said...

That is an awesome story and I am trying to keep the tears in my eyes. I miss teaching so much! I am glad there are teachers like you out there. My son has some tremendous teachers and he wont realize what an impact they have on him until he is older. *sigh*

Debie Napoleon said...

This is so wonderful - how proud you must feel.