Monday, November 10, 2008

There is a reason Family begins with F

ML had a series of disagreements with her sister in law, Jean. Actually they haven't spoken in several years. This occurred right the death of Bud's middle son. Jean was very upset that ML was in the receiving line, and asked her to step out.

Before ML memorial service, Bud wanted to throw a brunch for all this friends that had arrived from out state.  

Now, this was the kind of thing that ML would have loved to have hosted. And if she were still alive, she would not have let anyone help her. Her house, her party.
BUT, since was not here I know she would not want Bud stuck  hosting. She would him with his friends. So,Juls and Mary ( my sisters in law) and I hosted.

Everything was going well until Jean arrived. 

Jean had not been to ML's new house and as soon as she walked in she walked around the house to figure out where everything was. And then started giving tours of ML's house.

She did not address me by name-  proceeded to point put things that SHE thought needed to be done.  In other words she treated me like the hire help.

Not once did she offer her condolences. 

At the end of the brunch she, she told Juls and I, " we did a nice job". 
We told her we were glad to do it for Bud.

She asked us how we knew Bud .

" We are his daughter in laws."
Jean turned and walked out of the room.

That's family?

1 comment:

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

are you kidding me? Was she at the service? I would have loved to have met her!