Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Erma Bombeck was right

I remember reading somewhere that Erma Bombeck had said that if she could do one thing over in her life she would have more people over and not wait until the house was clean.

I decided to put this idea to work this past weekend.

We had family staying with us for the memorial service. The house was a mess. What little effort/organization I had started in September--GONE...  
And I had no energy to do anything!

Then I remembered Erma's saying.  

I made a list. What HAD to be done.
Bathrooms, kitchen floor, make beds, be able to walk through rooms without tripping.
So I hired someone to clean the bathrooms and kitchen. 

I took a morning and cleaned the kids rooms.

I took Friday off thinking I would finish the rest of the house but I forgot about food shopping. I forgot that the programs had to be printed and folded.  So nothing else got done.

Everyone slept in clean sheets. 

Juls slept in a room piled high with Hubby's dad's stuff. 
She did not complain. 

Hubby's uncle  ( who had NEVER been to our house) slept in Son's room surrounded by teddy bears and Red Sox posters. 
He did not complain.

After the memorial service, everyone showed up at our house. I had been gone all day and did not know what shape the house was in. 
No one cared.

We were out of food,     food appeared. 

And you know what my favorite part about the weekend was--when we were all together here at our house.
Dust bunnies and all..

1 comment:

Misty said...

it's good when we can set aside what truly can be put off for what matters most!