Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Being Gluten Free

I have been gluten free for a little over a year now.
I am starting to get used to it.
I am starting to venture out and
am trying to embrace it.

Last week we were on vacation.
We had an 12 hour drive to the Outer Banks.
For the car ride down I packed a great cooler full of food.
I had deviled eggs, gluten free bread with gluten free cold cuts, grapes, gluten free potato chips and gluten free candy.
The food was a success!

All week long I did ok too.
I brought gluten free bread, gluten free flour and ate well.

The ride home was another story.
The house we rented policy was no food was to be left in the house.
By the end of he week we were trying to finish up all the food.
The local grocery store had a little gluten free section.

The cooler on the ride home was full of left overs and my hubby is not fond of leftovers.

We stopped at a McDonalds for breakfast.
They ate biscuits with eggs, sausages and bacon.
I ate a gluten free bar.

For lunch they found a Sonic.
We don't have Sonics here no idea what is in their product so
I followed the rule--
when in doubt don't,
They happily drank thick milk shakes and raved how good they were.
I ate a soggy tuna sandwich.
Confession--I did tear up a little--I really wanted a treat!

For dinner McDonalds again.
I ate grapes.

Lesson learned.
When traveling plan for the trip home!



No comments: