Thursday, August 19, 2010

21 years

Twenty-one years ago I married my best friend.
It was by far the best decision I ever made!

My parents didn't support my decision.
My parents didn't want me to get married.
I was to stay at home and take care of them and my siblings.

My mom would wait up when I came home from dates and have a list of reasons why I needed to break up with J.
My dad would leave the room every time J came over.

I was engaged 3 days before I told them.
After they found out they tried to break it off.
My mom took me out for dinner and gave me a list of reasons why this was a bad choice.
Several weeks later they had both of us over to dinner and the whole family confronted us and told us not to get married.
We left --but not after we gave them a piece of our minds.
That was the last meal I ever had at my parents house.

I wasn't sure they would come to my wedding.
I told them when and where and left it up to them.
They did come, but I think it was because several extended family members were coming.

We decided not to have my dad walk my down the aisle and decided instead to walk down together.
For me, that said it all. We were in this together.

We promised to not forget where we came from, to continue to grow and to have a roof over our heads and food on our tables.
So far, all our promises have been kept.

My family, well we haven't seen them in 20 years.
I get an occasional email from my mom.
My kids have never met them.

And my siblings--the ones who my parents supported all their marriages--divorced.
All of them divorced.

And me,
well today I celebrate 21 years.
Today I have a wonderful family that supports me and loves me for who I am.

Today I am truly blessed!

2 comments:

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

Happy Anniversary! Way to GO!!

Jess said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! Now thats the way to do it!! I am so happy to hear of awesome relationships. Your parents are missing out on the best time of their lives!!!