Monday, September 6, 2010

No Nuts Zone

In May of 2009 I discovered I couldn't eat gluten.
It had started out slowly.
I had done "mini fast" in April.
I cut out wheat, sugar and caffeine.
I had been feeling sluggish and my Yoga instructor thought this might be helpful.

After I started the fast, I got SICK!!!
I spent many hours in the bathroom.
But after a few days I started to feel better.

In May I started eating bread again.
I was in P town for the weekend and we went out for breakfast.
The restaurant specialized in homemade French Toast and I couldn't resist!!

The next day I noticed bumps on my hands.
I continued to eat wheat and within a few days my legs were covered in hives.
They itched and were hot to the touch.
I had awful stomach pain , low grade fever and headaches.

After a few trips to the doctor it was discovered that I couldn't tolerate gluten.

It took me a awhile to get used to this idea.
The first months, I was afraid to eat anything.
I lived on eggs.

I managed to get through the first year but still wasn't feeling great.
This summer I discovered that I couldn't tolerate Soy products.

I spent most of this summer learning how to cook gluten free.
I totally embraced it.
I started following blogs, reading cookbooks and trying new recipes.
The most amazing thing was my family liked the gluten free food better than the gluten free food.

I made homemade granola, tomato sauce and lots of salads and stir fries.

School started back up and I was all set.
I had my almond milk, my homemade granola and gluten free bread.
On opening Day the superintendent made an announcement.
We were a nut free school.
No nuts of any kind!

Do you know how much gluten free food is made with ALMONDS!!!

I knew we had kids that had peanut allergies.
I didn't bring peanut products to school.
But no one had reported any allergies to almonds.

But now I am back to square one.
I feeling defeated.

I am trying to find quick, easy food to grab at work that doesn't have nuts, milk, soy or gluten.

Any ideas?

So

No comments: