Friday, March 20, 2009

Freak Accident

Son had indoor recess yesterday. The class was playing catch in the classroom.
He reach down to snatch the ball and in doing so, he knocked the chair on the desk in front of him.
The chair fell and hit him on the head.

He said he was fine but after a few minutes he head started hurting more and he was dizzy.

The teacher walked him down to the nurse.

The nurse put ice on his head and told him to rest.
After about 15 minutes he said it was worse.
Now Son is not a complainer. When he gets hurts, he cries at first ( usually out of frustration) but is up in about 3 minutes playing.
The nurse knew this--she has known him since he was in preschool.
So she called me at school and told me to take him home and watch him.

While driving to pick him up I called his doctor. I spoke with one of the nurses and told her she needed to talk me off the roof before I got to Son's school. All I could think of was Natasha Richardson!
The nurse said bring him right in.

His doctor said he had a closed head injury but watch him. Anything changes call.

We went home, snuggled on the couch and watched a movie.
After the movie Son stood up and lost his balance.

I called the doctor--off to the ER.

As calmly as I could I called Daughter and told her where we going and I would check in when I could.

I calmly explained to Son where we were going and why.
He said fine but don't say " hospital" and will he be able to see a picture of his brain.

After 2 hours, it was determined he has a concussion.
And to watch carefully. Wake her up every few hours through out the night.

So we are home today. Sue lovingly offered to drive 2 hours to stay with him but I realized I would be pretty useless at work. So I am home.

I am glad he is fine--No soccer for a week and I need keep him quiet.
But in a strange way I feel I need to Thank Natasha Richardson. Had her tragic accident not hit the news yesterday morning, I am not sure if I would have taken this so seriously.
I am not sure that Son would not be running around on the playground today or if he would be head butting balls at his game tomorrow.

There is so much we don't understand about the brain.


1 comment:

Mandy said...

I am so glad he is ok. Head injuries are super scary...my son fell when he was about 2 and had a hematoma. It scared the crap out of me because he was too small to tell us if anything unusual changed for him. And you are so right...they are nothing to play around with. Hope he is healed up soon.