Monday, June 29, 2009

Camp

We dropped Daughter off at camp yesterday.
She will be gone for a month.

She has been to this camp before--this is her 4th summer.

She wasn't nervous--she was excited.
She wanted to do all the packing herself and got very annoyed when I "doubled checked " on things.

Within a few minutes of arriving , the car was unpacked and she started to settle in.
I put things away and she move them.

I stepped back, and watched other moms having the same experience.

We ( the moms ) were doing our things, getting them settled and comfortable while...
the daughters we letting us know that this is "their" world.
Moms are not a part of this world.
This is a world where girls learn to be independent, explore and grow without the guidance of moms.

For moms, this where we step back, and trust that we have done a good job.
This is where moms stop being a mom for a month.

After about a half an hour she was unpacked and was off.
She was going from cabin to cabin, looking for friends, hugging laughing, involved.
I sat in the distance and watched.

It was clear I was no longer needed.
And so with a very quick hug I left her to her world.
A world that I am not a part of.

As we drove away I felt proud, happy and sad.
Proud that she was so independent.
Happy she was sooo happy and excited.
And sad that that I was no longer needed--

well part of me is proud that she she didn't need me.....

No comments: